Timing Chain Cover Oil Seals

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Timing Chain Cover Oil Seals

Postby bassman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 am

Hi has anyone fitted both the felt seal and the rubber seal for the crank in the timing chain cover , you can position the felt seal behind the rubber seal it rests against the rear of the rubber seal snugly i just wondered if anyone had tried this and found it to help prevent leakage .
bassman

Great Britain (GB)

Postby chesney » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:04 pm

I've always used the rubber seal and never had any leaks! :D
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby mogwai » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 pm

The two types of seal are not intended to be used together, they only fit their respective covers . Early types have the felt & later the lipseal. Providing the pulley surface is in good order they should not leak
mogwai

Awards: 1
Contributions 2012 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby bmcecosse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 pm

If done correctly - the rubber seal never leaks....  Don't worry about problems that don't exist......

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Postby bassman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 pm

well i've just got home with the engine shoved in the back of my micra , i tested the snugness of the single rubber and then with the felt as well , it was definately a slightly snugger fit with both so sod it i left the two in , if it ends in tears its only an hours work to whiz another rubber seal in,  the engine was run without any leaks , with fab oil pressure , its going back into the car on friday so we'll see how it works under load and normal running in.
bassman

Great Britain (GB)

Postby bmcecosse » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 pm

As explained elsewhere - DON'T DO THIS !

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Postby bassman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

too late its all assembled i suppose i could take it all apart again but i'm intrigued now , my previous rubber seal leaked and so do quite a few others from the look of the gaydon car park last week, its going to either spin round and eat its way through the rubber seal from the back or just sit there wedged as it is at present i had a listen and couldnt hear any rubbing noise from it when running. it was mentioned that it wouldnt fit but it did as i mentioned it only moved the rubber about a millimetre and this did give a slightly snugger fit . i'll report back my tale of woe if it goes belly up , and lets face it the slick on the floor will be the first portent of doom so i should tell soon enough to avert disaster
bassman

Great Britain (GB)

Postby bassman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 pm

on further deliberation i think i shall leave the experiments to mad scientists and whiz the felt seal out tomorrow morning ignorance is bliss till it explodes your bank balance , and mine won't take another hammering !
bassman

Great Britain (GB)

Postby bmcecosse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Wise move......

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Postby bassman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Removed felt washer from behind oil seal and so glad that i did , i found that the bottom bolt on the timing chain cover had at some time been cross threaded and the thread was almost none existent in comparison with the others , it did up but only finger tight before clicking loose again , the thread on the block wasn't up to much either  so i fitted a metric nut and bolt which just about fit through the hole without any drilling and i was able to tighten to the correct tension. I didnt remember over tightening it last week but its possible i suppose. glad to say no oil leaks from the stationary engine so far after its trial test , will be back in the car by wednesday , and i'm hoping to take it for a run out wednesday evening , running in .....again !
bassman

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Engine