Starter Motor Troubles

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Starter Motor Troubles

Postby Connor.Benson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi all,

I've got an Lucas inertia starter motor that was fitted to one of the Minor engines we got recently and today i tried to see if it'd work. I connected it to fully charged 12v car battery and to my surprise it spun up, but the bendix drive on the helical shaft doesn't seem to move at all? Which obviously meant that it didn't engage with the ring gear and turn the engine over..damn!

After cleaning the bendix bit with a small amount of petrol it seemed to be a lot more springy and moved up and down the helical shaft a lot better; i refitted the starter to no avail as it still didn't engage with the ring gear. I noticed though that the starter takes about 5 seconds to spin up to it's highest speed, suggesting there's not enough inertia for it to engage?

I really don't know anymore, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :D

Connor
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing til' it's perfect.

www.lincolnshireengines.co.uk
Connor.Benson

Postby Big Al » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Try some crushed graphite/lead pencil as a lube, I've heard it helps.
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 10
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby Churchill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Did you try to sort cut your relays? just take a ver thick wire and connect the two poles...

In winter I had this problem with my landrover series III... sometimes the bendix jumped out... sometimes not... but the starter didn't crank the engine...

So the first thing I thought was the starter that was failing... took it out, opened it.. all seems to be fine..

So then changed the relay, and touch wood, it still starts perfect...

hope this helps...

Kind Regards,
Jonathan
Lord Austin: " Most everything worth while is born of some dreamer's dream."
Churchill

Postby Connor.Benson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm

The starter motors in an engine test rig, there's no fuses no relays ect it's rigged straight to a battery with a switch. I've even tried taking the switch out with no better results. Ill try the graphite as lube tomorrow see what that does, Cheers BigAl and Churchill!

Connor
Connor.Benson

Postby bmcecosse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm

If the motor doesn't instantly spin up to speed - effectively jumping out of your hand!  Then it needs opening up and cleaning/lubricating/new brushes/commutator cleaned.  And yes - the bendix needs to be spotlessly clean and sliding freely up and down the spiral - and NO oil on the spiral.    BTW - it needs jump start cables - not thin wires to have any chance.......

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Postby Connor.Benson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Cheer bmcecosse, I'll get on it tomorrow and see what happens, as soon as I've got any results I'll post back...watch this space! :D

Connor.Benson

Postby Connor.Benson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi all,

Sorry about leaving it so late to post, we finished in the garage about 10 minutes ago and i've just sent Josh off to buy us some pizza's!

I lubed up the bendix with some graphite (crushed up from pencils) and wired it up using jumper cables and sure enough it spun up instantly, the bendix fired back and engaged with the ring gear so i'm very happy :D we spent the rest of the day bending and welding exhaust bits together for the test rig..it's looking sweet!

Thanks bmcecosse and BigAl  :)

Connor.Benson

Return to Engine