exhaust downpipe blow

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Postby DavidF2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 pm

All fixed and not blowing. However I had to use a slightly different method of sealing.
Took the joint apart, cleaned both surfaces until they where spotless, smeared a small amount of paste on and joined them up with a nice new clamp. Started engine, the leak was worse.
Repeat all of above, and still leaked.
Third time noticed how deformed the exhaust cup was, spent some time trying to make it round and failed.
Found a thin round gasket ring, placed it in the exhaust bowl, did everything up, no leaks at all. fantastic.

Maybe there is supposed to be a gasket in there, but I didn't find any for sale and no one has mentioned them. Looking forward to driving home without being gassed.
Morris Minor Traveller, 1971, Original, not restored, no modifications, not even a radio. My first MM. Wanted a useful estate classic that could be used everyday. http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/motorcycles.html
DavidF2

Postby bmcecosse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Some have used a ring of copper wire in there to make the seal......

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Postby DavidF2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:57 am

The copper seems a good alternative. I'll try this if the gasket I fitted fails at some point. Only used the gasket as I had one in a box the right size and thickness. Been for a few drives over the weekend and carbon monoxide gauge now reads a nice constant zero. The high CO was not 100% due to this exhaust leak. The rear doors had no seals at all, so some of the exhaust exit gas was being dragged back in. Sealing the exhaust at the front dropped the reading from over 60 ppm to a constant 20/22 ppm. Sealing the rear doors reduced this to zero.
Morris Minor Traveller, 1971, Original, not restored, no modifications, not even a radio. My first MM. Wanted a useful estate classic that could be used everyday. http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/motorcycles.html
DavidF2

Previous

Return to Engine