Engine steady bar adjustment

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Engine steady bar adjustment

Postby TimJOliver » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 am

hi all, I've replaced the engine mount rubbers on Arthur the Traveller, and now there is a vibration running through the whole car. It is horrible. :(

I also replaced the engine steady bar rubbers.

So, what have I done wrong?

I suspect it is the engine steady bar. How should this be adjusted? I noticed that there are two sets of holes under the battery tray that it all bolts onto. Did I pick the wrong holes? Does it matter?

All help and advice very welcome. Thanks guys!
Attachments
image.jpeg
TimJOliver
New Poster

England (en) UK England (.g)

Re: Engine steady bar adjustment

Postby Custard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 am

Hi,

I can't see for sure on the photo, but have you by any chance tightened the end nearest the engine so much that the part protruding through the nut is now actually touching the cylinder head.

If it is you will probably see some marks on the head.

I would check that first and readjust if necessary so that the bit near the bulkhead has more.

The only other thing that springs to mind is if you jacked the engine up much to do the engine mounts has the exhaust moved so it now hits the sides of the hole it passes through on its way out of the engine bay.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby Panky » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 pm

A few people have found some of the new engine mounts use very hard rubber giving the symptoms you've described. Some have resorted to drilling holes through the rubber block in an attempt to make them more pliable, others have put the old ones back in frustration. I think the ones from Bull Motif are better but never used them.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby greendefender123 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Where did you get the engine mounts from? Ideally you want nos ones or esm ones as these are nice and soft. The steady bar shouldn't push or pull the engine.
greendefender123

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby TimJOliver » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:21 pm

thanks everyone for responses. Engine mounts came from Charlie Ware's place in Bristol. Might swap back old mounts first to see if it i the new ones. Exhaust isnt hitting or against anything, nut on engine block end of the steady bar is not against cylinder head. Will keep ypu posted.
TimJOliver
New Poster

England (en) UK England (.g)

Return to Engine