Permanent removal of heater.

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Permanent removal of heater.

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 am

I am planning to remove the heater from my 1098. The plan is to jubilee clip a bolt into the takeoff on the bottom hose (just for now to see if I like it, and buy an early hose without takeoff down the line) and blank off the takeoff on the head with a gasket and metal plate.
Has anyone else done this or is there a reason not to? I was wondering if the heater helps in the cooling of the head, but as I rarely have it on I doubt that it's contributing anyway.
Caz

Re: Permanent removal of heater.

Postby BrianHawley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am

Sorry, I have no information on the head cooling. But curious why you want to remove it.

More parcel shelf room? Instrument panel?
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 1
Contributions 2017 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby GraemeT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

Hi - heater in our 1098 is currently in the boot (never been fitted) the take off for it has been blanked (by somebody else) with a domestic plumbing tap. The 'normal' take of you are describing on ours loops into a heated inlet manifold though - but I see no reason why a jubilee clipped bolt (that is a tight fit to start with) would not work as the psi on a standard 1098 rad cap is pretty low.
1955 Split Screen Saloon with later 1098 engine & type 9 gearbox
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Wales (wl) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby chrisryder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:51 am

The tap at the back of the head does help with coolant flow. It'd be better to take a pipe from the back of the head and feed it straight into the take-off in the bottom hose, so you still get the circulation.
chrisryder
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. Is a blanking plate as I have seen on ebay advertised for minis likely to cause problems? I guess I could just buy or fabricate a part like the mini take off without the valve and loop it like this:

But I'd prefer it to look like this!

BrianHawley wrote:Sorry, I have no information on the head cooling. But curious why you want to remove it.

More parcel shelf room? Instrument panel?

I am trying to get the car back on the road whilst spending as little as possible - The hoses had perished and the valve is leaky so I just thought it would be easier to take it all out. I also like the idea - for some reason I have always liked the look of cars with very little in the way of features in the dash area, like the ford 100E. There's just something I like about a minimalistic look. Also I hardly use it so it is just weight that I am carrying around - think of the fuel savings! :lol:
Caz

Postby woodywoodchipper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:18 pm

as the heater valve controls the flow, yes you can remove it and blank off ;)

re mpg wont save much, but every little helps, :lol:

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby BrianHawley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 am

Removing the heater also frees up an obvious place to put extra gauges.

Each to his own, but I've never cared for them in the glove box area or stuck on at random, here and there. The original dash has a nice look and it's a shame to spoil the lines.
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 1
Contributions 2017 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby GraemeT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 am

Caz wrote:... for some reason I have always liked the look of cars with very little in the way of features in the dash area, like the ford 100E. There's just something I like about a minimalistic look. Also I hardly use it so it is just weight that I am carrying around - think of the fuel savings! :lol:

I like your first image - that one's very minimalist and saving loads of petrol too.

(no HT leads) :D
1955 Split Screen Saloon with later 1098 engine & type 9 gearbox
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Wales (wl) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby Caz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am

GraemeT wrote:
Caz wrote:... for some reason I have always liked the look of cars with very little in the way of features in the dash area, like the ford 100E. There's just something I like about a minimalistic look. Also I hardly use it so it is just weight that I am carrying around - think of the fuel savings! :lol:

I like your first image - that one's very minimalist and saving loads of petrol too.

(no HT leads) :D

Haha - yep that's a good way to do it! Well I can say I haven't spent anything on petrol for my moggy for about a year and a half! :| I really have to get it back on the road!
Caz

Return to Engine