Mog running rough.

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Mog running rough.

Postby Martinminor89 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Hiya guys, I'm hoping to get a bit of information here. I have replaced a ton of stuff on my 70" Minor, and it's almost ready to be put back on the road, however, the car is running quite rough.

I've replaced all sorts on it, including the dizzy cap, also changing it back from electronic ignition to points, replaced the ht leads, spark plugs, etc. I also believe I've gapped the points and the sparks correctly. I've checked the carb float and it looks a bit tatty, but I wouldn't say it's the main reason it's running rough.

Can anyone suggest anything, I'm willing to check everything a second time, and even suggested things I may have missed to help me out and get it running smoothly.

Also, can anyone give me the exact gap measurements in any other measurement other than 25 thou, as I've only been learning to work on cars recently so there's still a lot of lingo I'm not that used to. I really hope someone can help, the forums have been a very good place for information of late and I'm hoping to keep up the tradition :D
Martinminor89

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Re: Mog running rough.

Postby woodywoodchipper » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:48 pm

my 1st check is for any leakage round carb/manifold, use carb cleaner or wd40 and spray round everything in that area, does it alter the engine running condition

my 2nd check would be a compression check,

all cylinders the same +/- 5

then static time to tdc,remove rocker cover to check, no 1 valves loose, note where dizzy lines up for no 1 plug lead,should be approx 2 o'clock check and reset points if required, when looking inside cap is carbon brush present.

also describe rough running ie missfire, lumpy, backfire etc,

A,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Martinminor89 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:03 pm

woodywoodchipper wrote:my 1st check is for any leakage round carb/manifold, use carb cleaner or wd40 and spray round everything in that area, does it alter the engine running condition

my 2nd check would be a compression check,

all cylinders the same +/- 5

then static time to tdc,remove rocker cover to check, no 1 valves loose, note where dizzy lines up for no 1 plug lead,should be approx 2 o'clock check and reset points if required, when looking inside cap is carbon brush present.

also describe rough running ie missfire, lumpy, backfire etc,

A,

Thanks Woody. I'll give these a try when lighting gets a bit better out, I can tell you now it runs lumpy, much worse than it did before I started work on it.
Martinminor89

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby ruairidh » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Did you change rotor arm as it could be faulty, also check small metal bits on top of spark plugs are tight.
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Return to Engine