starter motor brushes

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

starter motor brushes

Postby jackspratt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:57 pm

On my standard starter motor on my 1958 traveller,there are 4 large phillips type screws equally spaced around the body.I expected two of these under which I expected to find the brushes,but not four,so are there actually 4 brushes? Also these screws are very tight,would it be ok to use an impact driver to loosen them? Thankyou,Roger
jackspratt

England (en)

Re: starter motor brushes

Postby Panky » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:29 pm

I think they are the screws that hold the motor stator in place so I wouldn't touch them. The brushes are under the end plate (and yes there are four) there are a some small hexagon head screws holding it on. There is a bit of soldering involved in fitting the brushes too.
I have to add this was on my car which is a 71 traveller, not sure if the motors are the same.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby jackspratt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for that Panky,I should have realised the brushes would be at the end,good job I asked
jackspratt

England (en)

Postby Panky » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:33 pm

I edited my post just after you replied to say this was on my '71 traveller, not sure if the motors are the same but I suspect so. Good luck :)
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby BLOWNMM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:25 am

Hi Guys
The 4 large 'phillips type screws' are to secure the pole pieces and field coils. They should not require removal except where short circuits are found in the field coils. The 4 brushes are accessed by removing the end cover.
Bob
BLOWNMM

Australia (au) AUS Capital Terr (b.)

Return to Engine