Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods
stuupnorth
Scotland

engine and gearbox

Post by stuupnorth »

Hi all
yet another questions for all you wizards of knowledge
replaced old engine with a rebuilt 1275 and box
firstly the engine was removed on its own ie remove l/h engine mount and turn engine 90 degrees and take out no problem
so far
then gearbox out again no real problems there
new engine in and box along with all new rubber mounts(engine and gearbox)
noted that the rubber mounts seem to be very hard ? once engine in (replace l/h mount ) the engine steady bar slipped on to
the rear of the cylinder head without any adjustment what's so ever(surprised me and leading me to believe the engine is in the same place as the old one)
the gear box mount /cross member is on and lined up with the captive bolts in the chassis
it seems that the engine is pretty solid is that ok? there doesn't seem to be much if any 'give' in the rubber mounts ,or is it that i was so used to the old ones moving so much??
Stu

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

The Cliff Lloyd Award

Re: engine and gearbox

Post by Custard »

More than likely the old ones were perished and too squishy while the new ones seem to look more plastic than rubber and are probably slightly stiffer than the original spec.

I found that they did soften up a bit with use.

Bear in mind unless you are popeye even the lowly 40odd horsepower will move the engine a bit more than you can rock it.

On the plus side the chances of the exhaust banging on the chassis tends to be reduced too.

I would finish it and run it. When you retorque the head though check the engine mountings too. Sometimes the curve doesn't quite match the engine plate and they seem to bed in. Similarly the other side beds in to the tower a little. The engine won't fall out, but I have taken a quarter turn out of them once new ones have been in a while.

I presume the engine steady is ok, it is not wound up until its metal to metal. I replaced the bushes on that too.

Given that you have actually changed to a new engine, and if you meant LH tower looking from the front then you may have lowered the weight of the engine onto the steady. It could be worth the effort of freeing that off and readjusting. That is normally the last thing to adjust after its resting on the front mounts because if its too tight it can stop the drivers side tower taking the weight of the engine correctly.

Sean.

stuupnorth
Scotland

Re: engine and gearbox

Post by stuupnorth »

hi mate
many thanks for the info
the engine steady bushes were replaced not too long ago so they are newish
and as i said i didnt move the adjuster in any way and it 'fell' on to the stud on the rear of the head no probs
as for running it that was my thought give it a few miles and then re-check all is ok
again cheers