Exhaust choice

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods
Srivik

Exhaust choice

Post by Srivik »

Hello everybody,
the exhaust pipe in my morris has been modified. I wanted to restore to original pipe and silencer mainly for look and the original morris sound.

I got two option.
1. Get a second hand one, clean and re-paint
2. Get A new stainless-steel.

Has anybody tried stainless steel here??
Please give me some feedback and advice.

Viks (series 5 1963)

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Exhaust choice

Post by Custard »

It depends how good the secondhand one is?

If it is almost new and simply taken off to be swapped or the engine swapped then probably OK, but if its old you may find it folds and breaks during fitting.

If its an original one piece they can be a fight to fit so I would want to fit a new one and not have to do it for a long time.

Stainless steel can sound slightly different to mild steel and there are differences in some silencers.

The early ones i had were tubes crimped at the ends and some of the later ones had proper flat ends on them.

Stainless wont last forever in my experience they still seem to rust where the silencer is welded to the tube, but they do last a lot longer and it does depend how the car is used as short runs leave a lot of moisture in the silencer. It needs to be war for its full length to stop the moisture condensing in side it.

(I vaguely remember burning a gallon of fuel producing a pint of water).

I have never found paint to stick very well for very long either.

Sean.

Srivik

Post by Srivik »

Hi sean thanks for the info..

The sound is quite difficult to explain. Furthermore slight different perhaps difficulty to identify..

attached photo that i come by for almost complete pipe. Taken from late models.

Nowadays can even aluminized the steel.

Vik
Attachments
9AFBEE29-667A-4F04-8794-0FC2B7222DD5.jpeg
9AFBEE29-667A-4F04-8794-0FC2B7222DD5.jpeg (201.82 KiB) Viewed 150 times
9AFBEE29-667A-4F04-8794-0FC2B7222DD5.jpeg
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:08:18 10:26:39
Image taken on:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:26 am
ED8C180B-6DCE-4C50-829E-A1DF3600DC80.jpeg
ED8C180B-6DCE-4C50-829E-A1DF3600DC80.jpeg (212.84 KiB) Viewed 150 times
ED8C180B-6DCE-4C50-829E-A1DF3600DC80.jpeg
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:08:18 10:26:53
Image taken on:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:26 am

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Yes the sound is difficult to describe especially on the overrun. Best done in a tunnel :D

The sound does also change if the engine is modified as breathing and valve timing affect it so a different camshaft can change it a bit too.

If the second hand one is cheap enough it may be worth trying to see if you get the sound you want and then when it breaks find a new one the same.

People like ESM who work on the cars rather than just sell parts may be able to advise if the stainless one sounds exactly the same as the mild steel one.

Sean.

Srivik

Post by Srivik »

Hi sean,

After speaking to ESM, they advised the exhausts they have is patterned and need modifications And noisier.

I decided to try the original one i got for now.

Thanks for your explanation

timb02
Great Britain

Post by timb02 »

We have a stainless exhaust on our traveller and they do sound different. Bit noisier and less parp on the over run. I remember fitting a genuine exhaust to a traveller many many moons ago and it was a fight so if you get a genuine second hand pipe that is less than sound expect it to fold on fitting!
Tim

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

If I remember correctly I ended up removing a rear shackle to let the axle droop a couple more inches.

(No chance of easily removing the font pin on that car).

Half way through the job it gets very tempting to get the hacksaw and make it a two piece exhaust!

I also remember bringing a single piece exhaust home in a two door with the front seat and the back of the back seat removed.

The things you have to do when you have a Minor :D

Sean.

Srivik

Post by Srivik »

I got a two piece anyways. So i have to weld it all together.
Custard wrote:
1 month ago
If I remember correctly I ended up removing a rear shackle to let the axle droop a couple more inches.

(No chance of easily removing the font pin on that car).

Half way through the job it gets very tempting to get the hacksaw and make it a two piece exhaust!

I also remember bringing a single piece exhaust home in a two door with the front seat and the back of the back seat removed.

The things you have to do when you have a Minor :D

Sean.