exhaust seal: theres got to be a better way

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

exhaust seal: theres got to be a better way

Postby wren1710 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:56 am

This is probably a useless thought (and my frustration coming out!) but I spend alot of time (about every 3 months) resealing the exhaust to the manifold outlet (or whatever its called :roll: ), Now I know WHY its not staying (the engin mounting is a little high putting the exhaust alingnment of and its a rattly old engine) but there's got to be a better way to join the two? I mean you couldn't have designed it worse (well you could but lets not go there :roll: ) so:

Is there a better way?

:idea: somthing more flexable maybe to cope with the movment? I've even wondered about using one of those flexi exhaust joints, though I don't know how I'd get it on without cutting bits off first :?
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Re: exhaust seal: theres got to be a better way

Postby Panky » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 am

I fitted a brace between the down pipe and the block. Keeps the exhaust in place nicely and the joint has been fine, also worth getting a cast manifold to down pipe clamp if you haven't already got one as the pressed steel ones aren't that good.

I have a modified exhaust but the theory is the same - and pic taken before I found a cast clamp

Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Nice, looks like I've got another little mod to work on. Just ordered a cast clamp to replace the 1 bolt clamp I've got and had nothing but trouble with, I'll add that to replacing the dynamo which just died (4 months old so its winging its way back to the seller :? )
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Re: exhaust seal: theres got to be a better way

Postby MM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 am

I've also had many problems with mine leaking over the years. Your best bet is to replace it with an LCB manifold from the likes of Maniflow (which are a very good fit), which takes the exhaust right out under the passenger floor area, and gives improved engine breathing into the bargain.
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

At least part of the issue (I have found) is that the exhausts that are commonly sold are not a good fit where they pass through the tie extension, generally when I fit these I have to either cut the mounting flange off and reweld so that it fits squarely on the manifold, or cut a V in the lower curve so that the flange meets the manifold in better alignment.

I have even had to, on occasion, fabricate a flange from scratch as the 'flare' (for want of a better description) was completely wrong, but that was on an eBay special in fairness.

Well worth looking into, while you have the exhaust disconnected.
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Return to Engine