Engine flushing

Side valve, 803, 948, 1098., 1275 and Vizard mods

Engine flushing

Postby John_James » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Hello,

Whilst I have the engine out for a bit I thought i would give it a flush out. When i removed it originally, the bottom 50% of the heater hoses were full of brown sludge so can only think what is lurking in the engine :shock: !!

Does anyone have any special tips for this at all or is it just a case of 'plumbing' it into the garden hose and wait till it runs clear?

I would also like to link up the heater hose to do the same thing, if possible.

Another question I'd like to ask, is it possible to fit one of the earlier type stop cock type valves to the back of the block, replacing the wire controlled one? I don't want to get a rubbish replacement that will fail in a short amount of time as I am aware there are some quality issues at the moment and quite like the look of the brass tap any way.

Many thanks
John_James

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Engine flushing

Postby MickEssex » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:04 pm

If the engine is already out then flushing it through with the hose is about all you can do, if it is in and running you can add crumbled dishwasher tablet and let it circulate or you can add dishwasher cleaner which also works. A good flush through afterwards with clean water would remove any residues and particles before refilling with coolant. Yes the older brass tap will fit straight on no problem.
MickEssex

Awards: 11
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)
Members Choice Award (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Re: Engine flushing

Postby John_James » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi Mick,

Never thought of a dishwasher tablet or cleaner, sounds like a plan. I'll give it a quick flush now and then the fairy special when it's back in.

I'll also get a new brass tap valve then and spare myself the uncertainty.

Many thanks!
John_James

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Engine