Anyone any good at fixing or know how to mend fiberglass?

Anything not covered by listed topics

Anyone any good at fixing or know how to mend fiberglass?

Postby Orkney » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Have a wing to repair on scab soon, but in the meantime have a more pressing repair needing doing.
Finally got round to shifting the dinghy today ready to give it some much needed maintenance, it was upside down, flipped it over and CRACK  :shock:

Great big split about 6"s or so long right atthe bottom of the bow :-(

So how to fix? Never done anything in the way of fiberglass repairs, so this will make good practice for the back wing on scabby.

Glad it happened before it got in the water - a boat with a hole in is a err submarine  :lol:
Orkney

Postby bigginger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:37 pm

From the trusty bookmarks list - http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Fibreglass_repair Most important thing is to give the area around it a gentle 'slope', and to make sure it's perfectly clean - needs acetone. From past experience, it's pretty tricky to do, but an 'adequate' repair is achievable :D
bigginger

Postby Orkney » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:58 pm

There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.

:cry:
Orkney

Postby Spag » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Nah, not me. Just spent the last couple of weekends chopping the cockpit and seat out of a kayak, widening it by 2", then glassing it all back together ! :shock:

On the inside ...

For 3 or 4 £ around the crack, rough sand with something like 60 or 80 grit to really key the old stuff, and if poss get some of the weave showing or fibers lifting.

Mix up about a 1/2 a pint of resin and hardener then wet out the sanded bit with it.

Then lay in a lump of matting, brush (or roller) it flat  and the mat will soak up some of the resin already there, then brush (or roller) more resin in.

You know it's soaked up enough when the white of the strands disappears and they go translucent. (Unless you are using a kevlar/carbon weave  :D  )

Then add a bit more matting.

Repeat to fade.

Ooo, make sure the boat is propped up so the resin settles to the right place, and doesn't just slowly pour away !!

Leave that to set for a couple of hours, then you will have a bit of structure for the outside bit.

Sand off any unsightly lumps/hairs/bulges.

Turn boat over...

Sand off any flakes and scabs from around your crack.

Then sand/file/chisel the edges of the crack to leave a nice 5mm-10mm tapered sloty crack.

Mix resin and hardener and wet out the crack lightly, then  and some filler powder to the resin/hardener (flour would, but don't tell anyone), to make a nice thick paste.

Spread and press this deep into the crack.

If your'e feeling keen then with a bit o resin and hardener (no filler) you could wet a bit more of the hull and put  3 or 4 layers of fine 'tissue' glass matting over the filled bit to tie it together better, but wouldn't worry mesself.
Ian (Spag)

www.v8mini.co.uk -  "The Roughest V8Mini Deathtrap In The World"
Spag

Postby bigginger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Orkney wrote:
There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.

Baffled - there are too :) What he said, but I'd still say to clean the material after you've sanded it  - before the 1st resin coat, in case I'm not being clear. Some say you'll need to drill holes at the end of any cracks to stop them spreading, others not - 'sup to you, really

I know I've got a link to a better page/site somewhere, I'll keep on looking.
bigginger

Postby bigginger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 pm

Nope, it's gone since I posted the link. How very queer
bigginger

Postby mrbenn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Think there is an extra dot?

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Fibreglass_repair
mrbenn
What magic door?

Awards: 2
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1)

Postby bigginger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:14 pm

Well spotted - I usually catch that kind of thing...
Ta
bigginger

Postby Spag » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:35 am

I have some info on making quality body panel bits too ...

http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/gallery/03/03_march_lump/

(Though the quality may be graded in negative numbers  :D )
Ian (Spag)

Spag

Postby Orkney » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:46 am

All i know about fiberglass is its hard as hell to sand off if you put too much on there :-(
Will pop into town later and get a no doubt extortionate repair kit of some description and give it a go.
Orkney

Orkney wrote:-snip-

So how to fix? Never done anything in the way of fiberglass repairs, so this will make good practice for the back wing on scabby.

-snip-

NOOOOOOO!

Fibreglass used to repair a fibreglass boat, yes, proper repair, good idea. Fibreglass used to repair a steel wing on a classic car, (I'm not meaning to offend here, but) that is not a repair, thats a bodge job, and a poor quality bodge at that :(

Dont do it! It wont last, repair steel with steel.
Cheers John

www.ekmm.co.uk

Kent Branches Hop rally www.kenthop.co.uk
Chickenjohn

Postby Spag » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:14 am

GRP sands no problems with good quality abrasives.

Air DA sander, belt sander or low speed grinder all work a treat.

But then again I sand pasta...

http://www.spagweb.com/gallery/amoc_pasta_07
Ian (Spag)

Spag

Postby Orkney » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:37 am

Fibreglass used to repair a steel wing

Actually it's for one of the rear wings which had a ding - the rear wings are fiberglass  :lol:
Orkney

Postby Orkney » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:43 am

But then again I sand pasta...

Spag i'm not sure which you need more ... serious help or a job as a blue peter presenter  :D  :D  :D
Orkney

Postby eastona » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:14 pm

Also, remember to get some paint (or gelcoat if you're posh) on the outside (and preferably inside) before you drop it in the water.

Andrew
eastona

Next

Return to General Mog Chat