Ramblings

Anything not covered by listed topics

Ramblings

Postby Compo_Simmonite » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:53 am

Yesterday lunch time I met up with Bill ("minorecosse" from LCV Register and  MMOC forums).
He's a Scot and we first met when he very kindly collected an Ital autobox that was for sale near him and dropped it off with me on his way down here for business.
Since then we have become good friends despite the 300 mile gap between us.
I repaid the favour by collecting a LCV cab a while ago for him and then arranging for one of my friend to drop it off  when in Scotland.
See - the "parts relay" system already works  :D

Anyway getting back to the story.
Bill wanted to borrow my Solo-Matic A frame again (he used it before to collect a Minor van from Leicester area and take it back home "north of the border") as he's found yet another van.
From the photos is look quite good other then the thick layer of dust from years of barn storage.
The price  - £150 so that shows bargains can still be found.
I've got the photos so will try and post them later as I'm positive Bill won't mind (I've told him to join this forum).

Paul Humphries.

BTW Bill kept on mentioning that he thought I looked / walked worse than when we last met a few months ago so that, along with a desperate need for a more economical everyday car (20-23mpg is crippling us), has got me thinking that I should reapply and fight this time for Mobility Allowance.
I already have a Blue Badge (had for for probably 10 years) and it amazes  me the mobility of people who park in disabled bays.
Not just youngsters but older people too. Often they have brand new or only a year or so old cars so make me wonder if they are getting Moibility Allowance / Mobilty cars so why shouldn't I  also apply to get " a slice of the pie" !
Compo_Simmonite
Lucky

Postby DTH » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:55 am

You can always apply and see what happens.  No Harm in that!

You've paid your taxes,  you have difficulties, you should claim the benefits you *should* be entitled to.   After all, the government are quick to take money out of your pay packet!
1968 Maroon B Saloon, Agatha
DTH

Postby mrbenn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:59 am

dan_harris wrote:You've paid your taxes,  you have difficulties, you should claim the benefits you *should* be entitled to.

Amen to that. Do it Paul  :)
mrbenn
What magic door?

Awards: 2
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1)

Postby Orkney » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:20 am

You should Paul ! although my personal belief is not to claim anything think that far to many take advantage, which makes it so difficult for the genuine people to get the help they need.
Less than 10 miles from here is someone who is never driving a car / flash pickup paid for onthat mobility thing because and wait for it - HE'S REGISTERED BLIND!!!!
Go figure .........
People who milk the system get right on my wick ! and know several that do and dont know that many people.
Orkney

Postby Compo_Simmonite » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 am

mrbenn wrote:
dan_harris wrote:You've paid your taxes,  you have difficulties, you should claim the benefits you *should* be entitled to.

Until you are in the same position (completely broke / massive debts) you don't realise how much personal pride stops you applying for such "benefits".

My view is still that of benefits are there it help people who might otherwise struggle.
It's difficult to suddenly accept you are in the same postion after working most of your life.
When I first had to finish work I (sold my old XJ6 I'd had for years  :cry: ) and ruduced most expenditure to "cut my cloth accordingly" to match my reduced income.
Over the years simply living has got so dear and it's now frightening how much is needed just to exist (gas, electric, council tax etc).
My pension is a government one so is index linked but I'm now in the position where outgoings each month match incomings with not a penny to spare. No more savings can be made on expenditure so I'm getting to crunch time where I'm going to get into serious financial trouble very soon.
BTW Recently I was over, by £50 , the £250 overdraft limit and HSBC charged me £150 !

Paul Humphries
Compo_Simmonite
Lucky

Postby Orkney » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:40 am

BTW Recently I was over, by £50 , the £250 overdraft limit and HSBC charged me £150 !

Get your posterior over to the Martin Lewis site
moneysavingexpert.com - the guy on the tv - bet your bottom dollar theres a generic template there to get that charged reduced to something sensible for the cost of a stamp !

Personal pride - with you there, was the single biggest factor that stopped me doing something about the drinking.
What shame is there for you to go to the job centre and say look ok i might have some health issues but i'm sureley able to do something for someone with my experience - and if they cant find you a job then the 'system' should be helping you out.
Tis the first thing i'll be doing when i get myself sorted out, dont give a damn what anyone else says or thinks, all the years ive paid in to what - subsidise scroungers & the like whilst i'm struggling.
Sh*t no - if you cant beat em join em :-)
Orkney

Postby Compo_Simmonite » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 am

Orkney wrote:What shame is there for you to go to the job centre and say look ok i might have some health issues but i'm sureley able to do something for someone with my experience - and if they cant find you a job then the 'system' should be helping you out.

In this area unless you are able bodied, willing to work for minimum wage  (probably on shifts and having to travel quite a distance to and from work)  and Polish  :roll: you havent a "hope in hell" of getting a job.
A mate is a Benefit / Empoyment Office manager and says despite what the law says nobody employs anyone with health problems when they can get able bodied for same costs.
Even the local Remploy has closed down as the work they did can be done elsewhere cheaper !
Also if you have a works pension that is greater than the amount of unemployment benefit you'd be otherwise entitled then nil is paid - just NI credits.
We recently had one of the last big manufacturing companies (Indesit) close down just before Xmas and production moved to Poland.
The workers obvioulsy got redundancy pay but it seems that us what they are supposed to live on until they got another job.
If they used the payout to repay loan etc then tough luck as they should have kept it for day to day living as the benefits system still regards them as having the monies and have a calculation as to how long they should make it last.

Paul Humphries
Compo_Simmonite
Lucky

Postby mrbenn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 am

Compo_Simmonite wrote:
mrbenn wrote:

Until you are in the same position (completely broke / massive debts) you don't realise how much personal pride stops you applying for such "benefits".

Paul Humphries

I have had difficulties employment wise for a while now and struggled financially so I do know what you are saying. However I have been fortunate not to have been in a situation where I simply couldn't cope (family have helped me out on occasion), so I have never attempted to draw any benefit although I would have probably been entitled.
mrbenn
What magic door?

Awards: 2
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Paul I really don't see why you wouldn't qualify for mobility allowance now. One of my engineers gets it for his wife, after an op for cancer. It's a huge financial boost, and I believe that is what part of the tax and national insurance system is for, those that really need help.

I respect the views of others who think this should only be a last resort, and I share that view to some degree. If you don't qualify then there is something seriously wrong with the system.

Postby bigginger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 pm

MoggyTech wrote:If you don't qualify then there is something seriously wrong with the system.

Trouble is, there is :( Lost my 'right' to free prescriptions as they reckoned incapacity benefit put me £1 a month over the threshold for it, so having to spend £30 a month that I don't have...
bigginger

Postby Orkney » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Sound stupid - but now youve lost that doesnt it make you worse off and so elligable again?
Orkney

Postby bigginger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Nah. they don't care what the cash is spent on, just that they've paid it to you. Applying for another HC1 just now, but that can (and often does) take months :(
bigginger

Postby smeggy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:54 pm

mrs buys a prepayment card for perscriptions, we couldnt afford here medications otherwise
You may get to touch her
If your gloves are sterilised
Rinse your mouth with listerine
Blow disinfectant in her eyes
smeggy
swamp donkey

Postby Orkney » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Trouble is with one of those Smegster is youve got to be able to afford one to start with - not easy when your potless on the ork/bg sclae of things.

Oddly scotland is very good for that  £5 per single prescription or £17 for 4 months.
Orkney

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Yes the system is flawed. I refuse to let my doctor write free scripts for things like aspirin. I'm glad the insulin is free, but don't see why everything else for non related symptoms should be. Not a big fan of the SNP, but they have made some great moves in the right direction. They want to scrap council tax and replace it with 3% on income tax. That would save families on less than 30K per annum income a lot better off if they currently pay the average 1.2K council tax.

Would like to see a simpler tax system in any case, it costs a fortune just to run the current system. The one that irks me is VAT on top of fuel duty, so a tax on a tax, on top of road tax, congestion charge tax, tax/VAT on repairs etc.

Born free, taxed to death...  :roll:

Next

Return to General Mog Chat