Whats the beef?

Anything not covered by listed topics

Whats the beef?

Postby DTH » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Whats going on with the owners club? There seems to be a bit of ill-feeling about it and I've not quite worked out why yet....
1968 Maroon B Saloon, Agatha
DTH

Postby Orkney » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 pm

?? whats the gossip? know theres a bit of unrest about lack of changes going on but from what ive seen thats always the case - perhaps its just more topical lately.
My subscription runs out in 2 months, wont be renewing .....
Cant afford it for one thing, never read the mag and only joined to get the 'cheap' insuranc initially.
Orkney

Postby bigginger » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Can't say I've seen any particular ill feeling. There do seem to be a lot of newbies posting atm (hooray, btw) and less from the old hands (Cam, Ray, dare I say me...) and the atmosphere has certainly changed a bit, but that's been going on for at least a year or so. What had you spotted?
bigginger

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:58 am

I don't think I shall be renewing either Kevin, and the insurance was never competitive enough  :(
Judge

Postby Chickenjohn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:18 am

Its vital to contribute to a classic car club for the survival of our chosen transport. Why? Because the only thing stopping modern government beur/eurocracy sending our cars to the crusher for spurious reasons is the FBHVC who campaign on our behalf with the UK government and the EEC.

The main problems I had with the other board were:-

1. Not able to freely discuss bad experiences with traders
2.  Sometimes over enthusiastic modertors.

and I've seen 1 and 2 apply here too.

I go to and enjoy both message boards BTW.
Cheers John

www.ekmm.co.uk

Kent Branches Hop rally www.kenthop.co.uk
Chickenjohn

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:30 am

What you have to be mindful of CJ, is that if you, as you put it, "freely discuss bad experiences with traders" it could possibly result in the site being closed down.

What good is that to Minor enthusiasts?

In my view the best way to deal with trader disputes and/or sub standard parts is to take the matter up directly with those concerned. If this fails to achieve the desired effect then take it up with the relevent regulatory bodies.
Judge

Postby Orkney » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:51 am

Straying a little off topic, but that pretty much sums it up Bill - people are leaving for various reasons.
Guess theres a set number for whom the bi-monthly mag & a sticker for the car is all they want from it - and not being an ageist but guessing that group are mostly older members.
Even if i wasnt potless could think of better things to do with the cost of the subscription.
The most useful thing for me as a new mog owner was the board over there - learned a lot met some great folk and gained priceless advice.
Why was that? because people took the time and trouble to help out.
Now consider that the mojority of the 'hardcore & knowlegeable' posters spend time here it seems to quickly take away what that board had to offer in that respect.
Daresay its not doomed to failure entirely but if you remove say 10 people who are always there to offer quick responses then it gets a bit stale.
Personally i offered on several occasions to volunteer to help out and come up witha way to update it and make it easier to find various things, always it fell on deaf ears.
Suppose in a way i do feel a little resentment that the people who make that board are taken for granted - you know, what odds would it be for someone to say hey those guys really help out give them a complimetary subscription? Any suggestions of change never acted upon, just not how people should be treated.
Saw some figures bandied about of how many people have joined the mmoc board etc, but they are worthless numbers if people join, dont contribute or return.

The other niggle ive got with the club as a whole is that in refusing to become more modern and appeal to all owners is that they are not fulfilling the 'preservation' bit - was saying to someone the other day that if you look at the younger owners they are a pretty decent lot, and what the club fails to realise is that Mogs are cool, they are desirable and anything retro is always going to be popular amongst a certain demographic.
This is where i forsee thier downfall in xyz years. I'd dearly love to know the age groups of members of the club, in my mind they are mostly over 60, dont use internet and dont like change or things modern.
If that assumption is correct then there wont be a club when the exiting owners are pushing up daisy's in so many years.

As i see it the club is a dinosaur, got plenty of money but wont spend it, maybe in fear of doing so because of plummeting subscriptions.
Wont change any damned thing the most important of which beign the website. Oh and they dont seem to be trying to sell the stash of parts they have because hardly anyone knows about it or what they have. I mean crickey a simple online shop wouldnt take all but a couple of days to sort out.

The national - well they let themselves down again severely here. Why does anyone want to go somewhere with nothing else going on, will they have enough toilets ?

Sorry but if it was me in charge the club fund would take a serious hit and the national would be atthe dorset steam fair - own paddock, bar marquee, some morris dancers to lure the press, a workshop marquee etc. Would be a no brainer - not only would people want to go it would also   appeal to a massive audience. Something there for everyone !
If i want to see dancing dogs then just have to turn on itv on a saturday night - not spend hundreds of pounds driving hundreds of miles to do so.

This sort of leads me to my bigest gripe really which is the club dont seem to be doing anything to promote the car which affects its value. In my mind they are very undervalued, and the cooler they are the more they are worth.
Anyone got the club price guides for the last 10 years to hand? be interesting to see how they compare to inflation....

Bill feel free to move this to a new thread - i'm in waffling mode today :-)
Orkney

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:18 am

CJ's comment about supporting car clubs is a very vital point. The EU muppets would love to see classic cars off the roads and scrapped. Only a united body can carry our case with any force. As individuals a single voice just gets lost in the wind.

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Orkney wrote:Straying a little off topic, but that pretty much sums it up Bill - people are leaving for various reasons.

Sorry  :oops:  it's just that I hope this site will benefit all enthusiasts, and if it has to be taken offline it can't do that. Of course if someone does have a particular gripe, I am sure that there are those on here would be only too happy to suggest the correct course of action via PM or email  :D

Orkney wrote:
The most useful thing for me as a new mog owner was the board over there - learned a lot met some great folk and gained priceless advice.
Why was that? because people took the time and trouble to help out.

I'll drink to that  :D  

Orkney wrote:Personally i offered on several occasions to volunteer to help out..........

Me to  :(

Orkney wrote:Sorry but if it was me in charge the club fund would take a serious hit and the national would be atthe dorset steam fair - own paddock, bar marquee, some morris dancers to lure the press, a workshop marquee etc. Would be a no brainer - not only would people want to go it would also   appeal to a massive audience. Something there for everyone !

Within reason  :wink: this need cost no more than the current format of National. It may even cost less, and as you say, appeal to a massive audience.
Judge

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:09 pm

MoggyTech wrote:CJ's comment about supporting car clubs is a very vital point. .............. Only a united body can carry our case with any force. As individuals a single voice just gets lost in the wind.

Couldn't agree more MT
Judge

Postby Orkney » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Trouble is though how can there be a united body of clubs if clubs themselves cant get organised ?
I dont know but wouldnt mind betting theres similar problems with other owners clubs?
Orkney

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:23 pm

I personally think the time has come for car clubs to talk to each other. Not only that, but to join up with each other at events such as the one you suggested.
Judge

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Orkney wrote:Trouble is though how can there be a united body of clubs if clubs themselves cant get organised ?
I dont know but wouldnt mind betting theres similar problems with other owners clubs?

Well it's all meant to be channelled through the Federation of Vintage something or other, and truth be told, they have managed to get some concessions with the EU muppets on various changes to vehicle laws.

There's been a right old ding dong on the Practical Classics site regarding this. Martin Evans is a real champion to our cause, and level headed to boot.

You know thinking about it, I think the problem with the MMOC is the blight we as a Nation seem to suffer from, apathy. Compared to some clubs, the MMOC is quite strong but I feel will need to keep pace with the times, if it is to remain that way. Stifling debate is NOT the way to do that. Perhaps the committee should all read The Guns Of August.

Ooops, just fell of my soapbox    :D

Postby smeggy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Judge wrote:I personally think the time has come for car clubs to talk to each other. Not only that, but to join up with each other at events such as the one you suggested.

as has happened in the bike world, owners clubs are subscribing to either mag or the bmf, theres been riders rights groups around for a long time hell mag even lobby at parlimentary level ,shame there doesnt seem to be a national body for classic cars.   with me bike i just send me monies of to mag no need to join an owners club as i know every penny i sent will be spent on allowing me to ride my bikes
You may get to touch her
If your gloves are sterilised
Rinse your mouth with listerine
Blow disinfectant in her eyes
smeggy
swamp donkey

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:50 pm

smeggy wrote:
Judge wrote:I personally think the time has come for car clubs to talk to each other. Not only that, but to join up with each other at events such as the one you suggested.

as has happened in the bike world, owners clubs are subscribing to either mag or the bmf, theres been riders rights groups around for a long time hell mag even lobby at parlimentary level ,shame there doesnt seem to be a national body for classic cars.   with me bike i just send me monies of to mag no need to join an owners club as i know every penny i sent will be spent on allowing me to ride my bikes

Yes, I was a member of the BMF years ago.
Judge

Next

Return to General Mog Chat