A restoration conundrum

Anything not covered by listed topics

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 am

Surprisingly ok ! (famous last words) will get a pic later.
Theres a repair infront of the rear spring hanger, which need to get filler off of to have a closer look.
The spring hanger looks a bit suspect, but thinks its just being thrown out of line by the spring which is almost flat and falling apart, have a restored lovely pair to go on so will attend to that after i try the new springs on there.

The wing beading wont be much fun to get off, lots of nails but need that off to get to the wood.

Also took out a piece of beading that stopped the back window opening - i'ts rotted to hell in the channel so that will all have to come out - not looking forward to seeing the state of the timber there :-(
Orkney

Postby mrbenn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:34 am

This may sound a bit stupid as I don't own a traveller, but knowing you are quite inventive, could you make any small repair sections for the wood yourself?
mrbenn
What magic door?

Awards: 2
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1)

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 am

The woods OK - just one bit needs replacing. It will clean up just fine once the layers of varnish are off and the waterstains bleached out - thats the plan anyway. It's structurally sound and if the staining wont come out then i'll just have to resort to dyeing it oak color :-)
Orkney

Postby Bluesman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:32 am

Orkney - there are mutliple aspects covered here which all have bearing on your project. I´d like to agree with the "MOT first, enjoy and restore while enjoying" idea, as it appeals to me and is in fact exactly what I´m doing just now. In your case, it´s maybe even a case of "MOT first >have a useable workhorse/driver > then restore, time and cash permitting" thing.

In any case - a plan isn´t bad. As long as you don´t get enslaved by it. Sticking to your (often too optimistic, beware!) plan can be a good thing, as you time and time again will notice you are actually ahead of it. It can also put your motivation in a dark hole if you don´t allow some slack into the plan. Moneyshortage, workload, weather - that plan needs to be made of rubber.

OTOH, I am known for doing everything NOW, like there´s no tomorrow. I hate the idea of someone else needing to clean up after me when I´m dead and gone - and a decently restored car will no doubt help towards the funeral expenses (banana crates + cremation, lots of booze and a HUGE party!) better than that stripped, unsorted carcass of a car in the garage...just like a bunch of finished tube amps will be better than a bunch of components in a basement.

So where´s the doable compromise between going slow and fast?

Looking at your car, I would probably rip out the A post/hinge pillar, and do the inner wing repairs at the same time. That will save you time and a lot of swearing, and will leave you with a fresh drivers side, provided you can get hold of a door out there on the islands. Then, the worst is probably done, or at least uncovered. While your pressure is up, you will fix that surprise too.
From there, you will take it in a stride, smiling as you go. Do the Zen approach.

But then, that´s me.

In any case - best of luck, and may the force stay with you
Cheers/Richard
-------------------------------------------------------
Bluesman

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only 'Do it Now' person here. I can't even wait for paint to dry properly.  :oops:

Postby bobbins » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 pm

I have had my green 4 dr for 10 years now and I started out by doing only the bits that were essential for the MOT every year, mainly just patching and making do really to keep her on the road. Only in the last couple of years have I had alternative transport and a few spare pennies to strip the car and do all those things that had been building up for a proper job over the years :)

I can really sympathise with your dilemma, but if I was in a similar situation again, I don't think I would do anything differently on the second pass...
bobbins

Postby mogwai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm

took years but with mine I sorted the structural / mechanical side first to get it roadworthy & drivable then fixed/replaced individual pannels etc as & when funds, time, weather etc alowed each pannel was a different colour in the end  but finaly got the paint sorted now
mogwai

Awards: 1
Contributions 2012 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby DTH » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:19 pm

And having seen mogwais car it looks superb  :D
1968 Maroon B Saloon, Agatha
DTH

Postby eastona » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:43 pm

I'd get it structurally sound, (although maybe still scabby :) ) and then work on the looks afterwards.

I've taken a similar approach to bobbins, I've done little bits on mine over the past couple of years, to get it through the MOT and 18000 miles but have taken it off the road now for a couple of months now to do sills, wings, carpets etc. things that I've done without fort the past few years  :roll:

At least if it's on the road you can use it, and if a car's being used, it's easier to maintain...apparently.

Andrew
eastona

Previous

Return to General Mog Chat