April 1st

Anything not covered by listed topics

April 1st

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:24 pm

Please, please, please can we NOT post any April Fools. I always fall for them and get steamed.  :oops:

Postby Chickenjohn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:33 am

I've just seen one on the news- a flock penguins in the Antarctic have been discovered that can fly.
Cheers John

www.ekmm.co.uk

Kent Branches Hop rally www.kenthop.co.uk
Chickenjohn

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 am

managed to do one good one on someone, another failed miserably :-( will have to be quite catious today !
Orkney

Postby DaveS » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 am

MT, Managed to get a pic of these this morning,Please PM for details its a secret :D  :wink:
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 am

:D  :D  :D  Pigs are fuelled and ready to fly, love it. Well it's raining here, so I am stuck indoors anyway, and with no work to do with the business, no engineer to pull my leg with April Fool nonsense. Just cheques to write for the tax man, Oh Joy!

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:28 am

Well ive just had a 1 1/2 hour power cut - must have been scottish hydro's idea of an april fools gag - was just getting ready to weld something too.
Orkney

Postby bmcecosse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:46 am

I would have thought you would have your own wind turbine up there Kevin !  The pay-back on a turbine must be far greater in your part of the world than anywhere else in the UK.

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:54 am

Only problem with a wind turbine on Orkney is they go too fast  :D
Which reminds me, we visited a wind farm on the west coast in 2004 as part of the Scottish Branch MMOC rally. Fascinating stuff.

Postby Judge » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:58 am

My brotherinlaw, who also lives up there, has installed solar panels and a wind turbine.

Not sure about the solar panels, but the turbine, oh yes!!!!  :wink:  :lol:
Judge

Postby bmcecosse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm

The big turbines run at a steady speed( or not at all) - and just feather to shed off any excess wind.  Smaller units like to go fast - more power !

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm

There are some daft regulations regarding solar panels above a certain output. You are not allowed to run house appliances off them, but have to feed the electricity generated into the national grid (just how that is done I do not know). The grid provider then pays you for the power you stick into the system. Talk about red tape aaaaaaaaaaaarg.  :roll:

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm building a VAWT - vertical axis wind turbine.
Have a lot of the stuff ready - the magnets the winding wire, did a junior version which was fine.
Will just be a 1kw going straight into heat.
Having seen the disasters that can occur with HAWT machines no way on this earth i'd have one here.  They rely on an efficient TSR (tip speed ratio) its a lift machine wheras a vawt is mostly drag  so cant go any faster than the wind.
Think if you get a 100mph storm you dont want a HAWT with the blades just about subsonic - because if that comes apart your looging at the destructive power of a rocket propelled grenade.
VAWT is not so efficient but much safer - nicer to look at and doesnt make a right racket !

You can make a better machine than a £1000 off the shelf 1kw hawt for less than £200 and have a better machine - trouble is they realy are not suitable for the gusty & variable nature of the wind here - you need to stop it going too fast and keep it aimed at the wind - with a HAWT you need to do neither.
Orkney

Postby bmcecosse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Is that a new 'pained' expression in your avatar Kevin - due to the Sair Finger ?

Very interested in your wind turbine though - is it not possible to just use an electric motor (or a car alternator) as the generator?  Some cars  have 100 amp alternators - at 14 volts thats 1.4 Kw - which if applied to a storage heater 24 hours a day  will keep it nice and toasty !

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Well car alternators are always the first thought, but nowhere near as good as a permanent magnet motor.

You could in theory make a really simple one from a split 45 gallon drum on a suitable axle, a washing machine belt wheel from the back of a drum, would get an alt spinning to charging point in say 25mph winds.

My second proper one will be designed to turn through a gearbox and run a 5kva genny i have waiting the day. that'll go into underfloor electric - under flagstone floor that is. SO when its windy & cold pump storage heat under the floors.
Will be lot of maths involved with that so, but should be sorted in 4 or 5 years   ! Also that will be quite big - reckon on initial calculations will need a swept area of at least 4sq mtrs..
Orkney

Return to General Mog Chat