Howdy from Texas

Anything not covered by listed topics

Howdy from Texas

Postby msppowers » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Just got my lifelong dream. Its a Morris Traveller. I bought one for $20 in 1971 but it had no current title. (The last owner of record had been dead 7 years). It had passed hand to hand to 7 different people b4 I got it. Back then its was ok to do that. . I drove it home. Parked it for 2 years and tried to get a title b4 I did any major work on it.   Well the state of Texas said no way. I was young and poor back then so I took their word for it. I sold it for parts for $75.
Every since then I have longed for one. I saw this on in Calf. Now that I and old (still poor) I figured what the hell and for a very reasonable price I bought it.
It looked real good but had some hidden problems I discovered. I have been working on it for the last 2 month.  I will Post my progress with comments, pictures, and a lot of questions

Later My friends
Mike P.
msppowers

Postby Judge » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:06 pm

Welcome to the board. I am sure a lot of people here will look forward to hearing more, and feel free to ask as many questions as you like.
Judge

Postby FrankM83 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:12 pm

WElcome again Mike!! looking forward for pics and progress!! by the way  car can't change ownership more than 7 times over there?
FrankM83

Malta (mt)

Postby msppowers » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:17 pm

No but back then it could change hands and all the person in possession had to do was pay cash for plates and inspection every year......
Later
msppowers

Postby FrankM83 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:20 pm

oh interesting i had a pick-up some years ago had 14 previous owners!!! no restrictions over here as long as the new owners pay the transfer!!! more money for the government!
FrankM83

Malta (mt)

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Must say I like the way your Traveller has the side panels at the rear done in wood as well. Been thinking along those lines myself. Less to paint.  :D

Postby Jonathon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Welcome Mike :D
Jonathon

Wood Everywhere

Postby msppowers » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Yes there is wood where their used to be metal....
Image,
Image,
Image,
Image,

Now lets talk about the roof.....Seems one of the previous owners put some kind of cloth....Right now I am afraid to look under...It does look good but I am afraid of the rain here....
Later I will go into the  color (The computor does not reflect the real color).......
Mike P
msppowers

Postby msppowers » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:16 pm

One mor thing. Anyone know how to make my pics to go side by side  (not one on top of the other like in this post) I figure it will save some space.
Thanks Mike
msppowers

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:37 am

Hi Mike,

Don't worry about the pictures, they always appear one on top of the other, due to the way the code works for images. You can of course put say three side by side and save it as a single picture to the likes of Photobucket, making sure the width isn't above 480 pixels and heigth 640 pixels.

You can have larger pictures, but it's a bit of a pain for folks on dial up connections (slow to load)  So 640x480 is the prefered size (or smaller).

With regards to the cloth covering over the rear roof section, that panel is aluminium as is the guttering, so I don't think corrosion will be a problem. Aluminium does oxidise, but the layer formed protects the remaining metal.

Nice Traveller!

Cheers

Ray

Postby Orkney » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 am

Thanks for sharing the pics Mike !
One really colourful & interesting looking trav there. Have spent a lot of time pondering what one would look like with wooden panels.

That fabric on the roof - has the fabric been put over the rubber seal between the cab section and rear roof panel? that could be a potential rain trap if its been removed.

Look forward to hearing some more about your trav - imagine its got an interesting story to it  :lol:
Orkney

Postby DaveS » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:48 am

This thread reminded me of something.
Found it this is a photo of a photo(so not the best) sent to me in 2003 by a relative on holiday in Cuba
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Orkney » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 am

I cant wonder but whats wrong with that ..... looks like the front of a london cab - or just a very strange widening job. not having the upright above the back wheelarch doesnt help the look you're used to either.
And am i seeing things or is that 2 side windows at the back and one door in the middle ?
Orkney

Rubber Seal

Postby msppowers » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:40 am

As you can see nothing is between the cab and rear roof panel
I have looked locally and can't find anything...There is something on ebay
UK .Item number: 170189843433.It cost about $15 USA  and $15 to post it to me...seems like a lot for a piece of rubber...but I might bite the bullet and send for it.....Any thoughts
Mike P
msppowers

Postby Orkney » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am

Strange Mike - yes that's the thing that should be there - need some more advice here from someone whose done this - Think Alex knows about this stuff -
Have a feeling you have to seperate the panels from the inside - which may mean roof lining off? which is a pain.

Have you pored water on there and see what happens? possibly someone who put the cloth on took care of it with silicone sealer or something so it may not be needed?

Will take a comparison pic for you later of a fitted one.

Didn't think it rained in Texas ......
Orkney

Next

Return to General Mog Chat