TIG Weld

Anything not covered by listed topics
Nourish
England

Contribution Stars

TIG Weld

Post by Nourish »

Anyone tried the cheap TIG welders as on EBay?
Trying to research such things I find is difficult as I think people are biased towards their expensive kits and the American examples are often not available in the UK.
This one looks good and available :-
Why? My Mig welding is so unpredictable I'd like to try an alternative - something more controllable

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: TIG Weld

Post by Custard »

I have done both and I thought TIG was harder to do because of the co ordination of feeding the rod into the puddle.

Having said that I have always used gas with my MIG and always used 0.8 wire as the 0.6 seemed to jam more in my first welder.

I was interested in TIG because of the ability to do Aluminium.

Since then there are MIG sets that say they can do aluminium, but I don't know anyone that has used one on aluminium.

Sean.

MartinB
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Post by MartinB »

The really cheap TIG welders don't have High Frequency start, they tend to be scratch start. Also if you want to do aluminium with TIG you need AC and HF start. The higher priced you go the better the duty cycle at full amps (generally).

The problem with scratch start is that you are knackering the tungsten point before you have even started welding! Also foot pedals are generally much easier to control on TIG rather than the on/off switch or even the roller controller sometimes found on the torch.

If you can gas weld then TIG is fairly easy.

Nourish
England

Contribution Stars

Post by Nourish »

The kit in the video is an HF start and there are a few available around the £200 mark.
I think welding aluminium would be beyond my skill so DC would be just fine. But what is a Roller Controller?
I remember doing Gas welding at college - I used to jump a mile when the molten pool exploded and left a hole in the material - did the same when I went back to do an evening course!!!
Of course it could be that I only have vision in the one eye and perhaps the lack of 'depth of field' vision makes it a little more difficult?

MartinB
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Post by MartinB »

In the video it didn't look or sound like HF start but it does say it has it in the ebay blurb.

A roller controller is a little wheel on the torch to vary amps similar to a foot pedal.

A torch with a straight on/off will rely on the pre-set current ramps in the welder, the problem with this is that you may need to back the amps off during a weld as the head builds up.

Aluminium welding is easy enough if the metal is clean and good quality, castings are normally crap to weld unless they are particularly good quality.
The AC is used to lift the oxide layer off the weld pool and you can balance the cleaning effect to heat into the weld with the AC balance. Pure argon for TIG when welding steel, stainless or Aluminium. Every time the current switches direction using AC the HF is needed to re-establish the arc.

I did try using an ESAB TIG inverter broadly similar to the ebay one last year (not mine) but a lot more expensive and I couldn't use it, there was no control and it was simply horrendous to use.