What you up to at the moment on your Moggy?

Anything not covered by listed topics
bumpy
Great Britain

Re: What you up to at the moment on your Moggy?

Post by bumpy »

Finally got the radio wired up to my liking. It is a very modern radio and not that well suited to the era, but it came with the car and was wired awkwardly.

The radio comes with two 12 volt connections. One is yellow and is permanently live to keep the internal memory alive. The other red wire needs to be switched on to activate the radio into life, and its there that the small problem lies. It was originally fitted by a garage and I guess logically to them was wired to the ignition. BUT as our cars don't have an auxiliary key position it needed the ignition to be on when parked. Not a wise move.

So I rewired this red wire to its own fused dashboard switch. Now I can listed to the radio/CD/Blue Tooth/phone/USB flash drive when parked (if I could only find out how half of them works!)
Attachments
P1090470.JPG
P1090470.JPG (232.8 KiB) Viewed 67 times
P1090470.JPG
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:11:14 11:42:48
Image taken on:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:42 am
Focus length:
5.5 mm
Shutter speed:
1/5 Sec
F-number:
f/2.1
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Panasonic
Camera-model:
DMC-LX5
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

old english white

Post by old english white »

I think I just took mine off the other fuse - which supplies the interior light and horn. That way it has a fused permanent supply.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

old english white wrote:
4 days ago
I think I just took mine off the other fuse - which supplies the interior light and horn. That way it has a fused permanent supply.
Good idea. I hate electrics (you cant see what's happening!) so was happy not to blow anything up :)

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Panky wrote:
6 days ago
In my case one fractured right at the edge of the hole (not sure which side) and the other went right though it.
Will you replace the individual leaves or the entire leaf spring?

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

Not sure yet. If I can find replacements for the broken leaves then I'll do that, I haven't priced up getting them made yet so depends on price compared with complete new ones. I'm in no rush so for now I'll fit the spring minus the broken leaves if I need to move the car around.

Ted the 1971 Bermuda Blue Traveller
'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper
!969 Commer Jennings Roadranger

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Found myself a couple of glove box doors on E Bay. Hope they fit, then a strip and repaint job.

old english white

They seem hard to get now. I've seen some high prices on ebay! They should fit alright - as long as you have all the bits.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

old english white wrote:
6 hours ago
They seem hard to get now. I've seen some high prices on ebay! They should fit alright - as long as you have all the bits.
Yes I've seen them for as much as £40 each and you can buy new ones for not much more. These were £35 for the pair. They come with hinges but no catches etc, so a bit of fabrication to do.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Let me know if you need a close up picture of the catch.

Mine is not on the car yet.

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Custard wrote:
4 hours ago
Let me know if you need a close up picture of the catch.

Mine is not on the car yet.

Sean.
I would love that Sean. Also if you have it, of the mechanism that restrains the door from falling fully open. I have no idea what that's called and I think was only fitted to the passengers side, with the drivers side resting on the steering column. Sometimes the door is hollow and at other times has an infill. That needs understanding.

old english white

There is more than one type of glovebox door. The type you have bought is the earlier type (1956 to early 1959) which is not lined, does not have the chrome plated surround (or hinges) and does not have the mechanism which stops the passenger side lid dropping down. The door which features those refinements were introduced during 1959 I think and lasted until late 1961 when they were taken off altogether and remained open - like your car was!

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

old english white wrote:
35 minutes ago
There is more than one type of glovebox door. The type you have bought is the earlier type (1956 to early 1959) which is not lined, does not have the chrome plated surround (or hinges) and does not have the mechanism which stops the passenger side lid dropping down. The door which features those refinements were introduced during 1959 I think and lasted until late 1961 when they were taken off altogether and remained open - like your car was!
Thanks OEW. I'm happy to modify the lids with liners, perhaps add a chrome surround, magnetic catches and the limiter to stop it falling open. I suspect, if I can find out what its called, there must be suitable alternatives from the furniture world. My main concern, is will it fit the hole in the dash. I suspect Morris did not re-engineer the dash between changes, particularly as mine has unused hinge holes :)

Something like this at about £4 might do. They call it a support hinge.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

I will sort the pictures for you and the restraint or whatever they official term is.

Mine is the lined one.

You live and learn I never knew the difference as I had only seen pictures of them shut.

The restraint is only a bar with a slot in. I think the modern picture you have is a spring and works with cupboard doors hinged at the top. I had a quick look at them for a camper van I am making.

Sean.