unhappy engine

Anything not covered by listed topics

unhappy engine

Postby Salford Keiran » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Happily fired up my '68 1098cc this morning and she awoke enthusiastically on first turn of the starter. Set off into traffic with normal power and pick up. 200yards later she was coughing and farting so I pulled over. Very poor revs and no power. Tried to start her with/without choke and she would only chug pathetically but not raise revs. Eventually persuaded the wife to drive the van and we towed her back to the drive. Miserably rainy last night and today here in Gloucester, but she has never complained about damp before (the 'she' being the Mog - the wife complains all the time !). Now back from work and its still raining so quickly popped the bonnet and looked for a spark with No. 1 plug out - in broad daylight through the windscreen I could see a spark but cant say if strong or not right now. It will be weekend before I can get out tools and start fiddling, so just looking to the wisdom of the Mog Brotherhood to set up my thinking on where to start (and if it would be wise to try to pick up any obvious replacement spares while out and about - coil ?). The complete dizzy+points+condenser was replaced with new recently and has been no probs, so I would hope this is not where the issue lies. Any thoughts much appreciated to hopefully set my old girl back down the road to happiness quickly and easily. Cheers all.
Salford Keiran

Great Britain (GB)

Re: unhappy engine

Postby MM » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:26 pm

I would check that the new dizzy, points and condensor are fitted and gapped correctly as a first step - it's not unknown for newly-fitted parts to work loose soon after fitting! Also, perhaps swap in the original condensor if you still have it, as many of the new ones are know to fail quickly.
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

Postby Rick1963 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:12 am

Check the choke is not stuck open.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Salford Keiran » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:40 am

I've decided to try electronic ignition. I've bought a complete Positive Earth AccuSpark D25 dizzy. It has two wires and some not-entirely clear instructions. My old girl has the wire that currently connects to the condenser wire, and of course the two wires connecting to the coil. Can anyone offer a steer or pointer to a guide/video that could help me interpret the generic fitting instructions and get this new gizmo fitted ? Cheers gang.
Salford Keiran

Great Britain (GB)

Postby MM » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:31 am

See YouTube for numerous Accuspark installations.

They are pretty straightforward to wire up, with only two wires to connect, however, be aware you will probably have to turn the distributor body round by a few degrees after fitting to get the engine to start, then adjust the timing as best you can with a bit of experimentation so it doesn't quite 'pink' when you go up steep hills or accelerate in a high gear - that is the optimum timing setting. For this, you can leave the distrubutor clamp a bit (not completely) slack so that the body can just be turned by hand until you're happy with the setting, then tighten the clamp.
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

Postby chesney » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:47 am

Don't forget to check you order the appropriate ignition kit, it needs to be negative earth, or use a positive earth kit, either way if the polarity is wrong it will instantly break the unit.
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Return to General Mog Chat